Friday, March 16, 2007

Another Week, Another Whinge

Hi all, (if there is even anyone there then horray!)

Another week so another lot of text from me going on about nothing (yay!) Feel free to run now if the mood so takes you. If not...

Have just looked at some other people's blogs for this class and have a feeling maybe I am totally going to fail this assessment but at least now I have some people on my blog-yay! Even if I'm going to fail I still have to do this week's tutorial task which is actually pretty good and simple so that's good. I like actually having something to write about, gives me some focus and keeps me from staring blankly into space and then making an idiot of myself on screen (I think I've already done that! Just in case I haven't-here's more!)

So first I am going to do this task which is a simple kind of discussion about me and technology and what I use. Firstly I hardly ever use the internet which explains why I am so, so, so, so very, very, very bad at this class and why my blog is about as interesting as that stupid tv show about meerkats (sorry if you like that show, I really don't). I am a firm believer in speaking rather than typing (despite wanting to be a writer) and I am a huge lover of sarcasm (thank you Joss Whedon-if you don't know who Joss Whedon is, get off my blog! Just kidding you can stay). Due to this Whedon sarcasm I so love I find it a bad idea to speak over the internet as sometimes sarcasm doesn't always commute and people think that when I say things I really mean them, and I don't always. Also, I am kind of weirdly obsessive compulsive about spelling and on the Internet people's spelling is bad and that depresses me. So, due to this I don't have any people that I only know over the net and personally I find that kind of strange but as I haven't experienced it I can't really judge. But having read all those media exaggerated articles on little girls getting kidnapped and stuff due to internet buddies I am just a little bit over-cautious. There's just something about the person you're talking to possibly being fifty thousand years old and a murdering freak that kind of weirds me out. Crazy huh? (oh and there's the sarcasm!) When I was a bit younger I went on some chat rooms and ended up in trouble with my parents so that might have something to do with it too...

I do however use other communication technologies quite extensively, for example like most teenagers (I'm exaclty 18 and one week in case anyone cares) I can't live without my mobile phone, however I am constantly living without credit! But texting friends (and parents looking for me!) has become the kind of lifeline I can't live without. The other day I was wondering what I did before I had a mobile and honestly, I could hardly remember. That kind of frightened me. My phone, for anyone who cares is pink and a flip phone which are the only two reasons I bought it. It's small and cute, I can't tell you what it does that makes it fancy or fun, I do know there is like one game on there and a camera but I only use it to text and receive calls (I never have enough credit to make any!)

I've had a mobile for about three years I think, not too certain I have the worst memory! And use it all the time (as stated above). The great thing about it is that my cousin lives in Leeton (tiny Stars Hollow-esque town in NSW that you kind of crash into on your way through two slightly larger but still tiny towns) and I text her a lot coz I don't have an email address that I have told her. I guess now that I have one I can text it to her! Ah, the joys of communication technologies.

The other communication technology that I cannot live without (sadly) is the television. That fun world of attention deficit. I rarely watch the news but I recently have started to a lot more often but usually use tv to kill my brain cells with stupid shows, many from the US. I find myself, more and more constantly using pop culture references from TV shows, mainly ones like Gilmore Girls (I am totally addicted and not ashamed to admit it...okay I'm a little ashamed.) Also Supernatural (again addicted and a little ashamed), Smallville, Simpsons (kind of hate it but can't avoid it), Charmed, Buffy, Firefly (there's your Joss Whedon) etc. All the ones that make people shake their heads at me in disgust. An offset of this is the movie theatre which I constantly frequent and also use references and many quotes from and of course the DVD player. I can't imagine life without these three things.

One technology I use more than any other is my laptop. I am wanting to be a writer (I'm not really one yet but am trying!) and so use that constantly. Not sure if that counts as communication though as I don't really show it to people...

And the last one I will babble about is my CD player. I got two new cds yesterday and so this morning I played one as I was getting ready for uni. It was Evermore Real Life (if anyone cares) and due to this I have had Unbreakable (track 3 or 4) stuck in my head all day-I guess that's an example of how technology can affect you all day huh? I usually use my CD player whenever I am on my laptop or in my room but also listen to the radio a lot so I hear the news sometimes but not very often (I change channels to hear more music! Oops!)

Now that I have (hopefully!) answered the tutorial task (if not...damn, there's that failing thing) I am going to say some stuff about the lecutre I had this morning. By the way despite what it says on my blog posts it is Friday, the 16th March and about, I don't know, between 3 and 5 o clock I guess.

Okay, so in the lecture we watched a movie called Alphaville, okay maybe it was just me and maybe I was just distracted by the freakily deep scary voice of the voiceover guy that effectively wigged me out but that movie was confusing! So far it is making absolutely no sense to me. I hope that by saying this I have not just condemned myself to an even worse mark... But seriously I get that there are French people, apparently there are some hookers and a guy with a camera but...yeah that's about it! I really did try to concentrate which for me is a HUGE feat, I have a very, very small attention span, one that does not really commute French black and white movies apparently. I have used commute twice in this blog and am kind of wondering if I used it in the right context...I hope so.

Yeah, so the movie confused me and that guy's name Charles Babbage (dude who invented the difference engine and attempted that other engine that didn't take off-see I was listening!) just amused me to no end (yes I am actually a five year old masquarading as a uni student-well this is the internet!) All I could think about was that if I had known this guy his nickname so would have been Cabbage! I know, I know I did warn you in my first post that I am not that funny. Sorry.

Okay that is all I am going to write for now, I think I have written enough, I have definitely written more than I did for my original post which after seeing some others I am worried is too short. If so...eh. Okay, have a good week and wait for next week's adventure.

No comments: